More on UK "Z" lights...

The latest on our "Z" lights folks...

111245 JUL 98

By Caroline Sigley, PA News

The mystery surrounding a series of lights seen high in the sky over western
areas was solved today when officials said it was caused by a meteor shower
descending to earth.

The sighting brought reports of UFOs and messages from space last night.

Coastguard stations and police from Scotland to Cornwall were flooded with
calls from concerned witnesses, many reporting lights in the shape of the
letters 'Z' and 'Q' or the number '2'.

Many calls were centred around the Isle of Man where a large explosion in the
sky was reported.

Mystery deepened when a statement from the Liverpool Coast Guard about the
lights said: "Coastguard and air traffic control are satisfied this is not
aircraft related, so we can only assume whatever it is comes from out there."

But shortly after midnight the mystery was solved when an airline pilot who
landed at Midlands Airport reported seeing a large meteorite entering the
atmosphere when he was flying to the UK from France.

The meteorite began breaking up as it entered and left a long trail in its
wake.

The pilot said he watched as winds formed the trail into shapes resembling
letters which had been reported on the ground.

A spokesman for Liverpool Coast Guard said today: "It appears to be a meteor
shower and two parts may have hit each other. **

"We had over a hundred 999 calls here alone with people reporting UFOs,
coloured lights, meteors, comets and space debris.

"They were reported right across the North West, thankfully nothing appeared
to land anywhere." *

Bungy Williams, watch manager at Belfast Coastguard said the 'Z' shaped lights
were in the sky for 45 minutes.

"I can say I've never seen anything like it before.

"It was a larger shape than the moon but as we were unable to measure to
distance it was impossible to judge its actual size.

"I made a drawing of the object which shortly before midnight began to fade."

* "Thankfully nothing appeared to land anywhere". Selfish *@~#&$% !!!!!!!
** "Two parts may have hit each other"..??? Wow, talk about adding two and two
and getting ten... :-)

Stuart A