Re: meteorite hunter weapons

>I feel disturbed that a) in the first place, people have found the >attack
on our unnamed colleague amusing, and have even made jokes >about it

Sorry.  However, I'm certain no offense--or diminishment of a
near-tragedy--was intended by us jokers.  (The license for a dash of humor
exists given the subject's anonymity combined with the happy outcome of the
event.)

I was also fascinated by the gun post.

Bye for now-
A frightened of guns New Yorker

At 05:04 PM 7/14/98 -0400, STUARTATK@aol.com wrote:
><<     i usually carry a smith and wesson model 686 .357 cal. stainless
> revolver with a 6" barrel while in the field. side holstered, its
> imposing size usually deters any thoughts of confrontation . with great
> stopping power(over 550 pounds at 100 yards) , it is still affordable to
> shoot target practice by using cheapie paper punching .38 special
> rounds. the weapon is moderately heavy with afair sized underlug to
> eliminate tip-ups as is common with some of the lighter revolvers. this
> weapon is very accurate at 100 yards. all   my friends carry .44's with
> 8" barrels but you have to take second mortgage out in order to pay for
> target practice despite 44's unbeatable stopping power. any input
> appreciated,  Capt. Harlan Trammell >>
>
>Well, here's my input...
>
>I feel disturbed that a) in the first place, people have found the attack on
>our unnamed colleague amusing, and have even made jokes about it (does the
>phrase "There but for the grace of God..." not mean anything to you..?)
and b)