Re: Open Leter

would everyone please post their own responses on this issue directly to art.

The lengthy email below is another unfortunate example of taking on a new
issue that is bound to produce another 100 emails to the list. This is what
we are trying to avoid.

Please do not waste the lists time with more emails like this one. I dont
think we need a discourse now on what is a "blatant advertisement" versus
an "advertisement".

Thank you - Mark

At 02:31 PM 6/24/98 -0800, Michael Blood wrote:
>Dear Art,
>	I am writing you via the list because I believe other members MAY want
>to make themselves heard on some of these matters, and, partly, because
>your comment about the "...responses so far..."
>imply an interest on your part as to what the general desires of the
>group are.
>	I certainly do not mind temporary removal of individuals making boors
>of themselves, however, I must admit to some surprise at the following:
>+"you already know who you are"
>	Since they have ALREADY been removed, how do they get this message? (I
>assume you emailed them directly, but this comment was on the list,
>itself - a bit confusing.
>+ I do hope removal is TEMPORARY - perhaps a "standard" 30 days for the
>first time, 90 days the second time, 180 days the 3rd time (and
>perminant, if somebody just doesn't get it after 3 times)
>+I was substantially concerned about your comments regarding anyone
>posting a  "blatent advertisement." Personally, I have attempted to
>limit myself to mentioning 1) new stock 2) that has been a recent topic
>on the list & 3) offering SOME degree of discount to list members.
>Others whom I have not minded "advertizing" include dealers doing the
>same and all non dealers, regardless, but especially when they have
>something that has been of interest to the readership and/or are
>offering a "below market" price. While I have been less than thrilled
>with other dealers who have just periodically promoted their specimens
>or web sites, even that did not completely disgust me.
>	Perhaps you would be interested in what other members think about
>dealers, collectors or whomever, mentioning specimens for sale - what
>circumstances do they consider "acceptable" (or even desirable) and what
>circumstances do they consider distasteful, or even offensive.
>+I was surprized to hear from (read, actually) one of the "top 3" on my
>own "list" of "masters of boredom." Since you used the word, "several,"
>I assume more than two were removed. But, it is your list & "2 outa 3
>ain't bad,"  as they say. (Though, I am mystified who could POSSIBLY
>have been considered a greater contender for the "3rd slot")
>	Again, thank you for maintaining this list for all of us to enjoy, Art.
>I do hope others will comment on what they consider
>desirable/undesirable in terms of "advertizing" and/or any other aspect
>of keeping 2 or 3 individuals from flooding the system with petty
>bickering, nitpicking and/or name calling.
>	Best wishes, Michael

Mark J. Lerner
MORGEN, EVAN & COMPANY, INC.
63 Wall Street