Re: Oriented Pasamonte

Michael Blood schrieb:

> Dear friends,
> It is with great pleasure and humility ... possession of a particular
> oriented Pasamonte specimen ... In ONE of Nininger's writings, he
> described finding 1/2 of this beautifully oriented specimen, then,
> much later, in another part of the strewn field, finding the other
> 1/2 ... extensive searching in "Find A Falling Star" ... and The
> Published Papers Of H.H. Nininger failed to locate the passage I so
> well remember ... I would very much like to relocate his commentary
> about this specimen ... I do hope one of you can lead me to that
> passage.

Congratulations on the acquisition of that oriented specimen! And while
the rest of us is still trying to relocate that passage (I, for my part,
was unsuccessful), some might wish to (re-) read the interesting passage
in O.R. Norton's RFS II dealing with the Pasamonte fall (pp. 272-273)! A
photo of the Pasamonte fireball can be found in R.W. Bühler's (SML) book
"Meteorite - Urmaterie aus dem Interplanetaren Raum", p. 39 (1st
edition) and a specimen with those typical gas bubbles on p. 118.
And here is what the Big Blue Book says:
75 stones, totalling 3-4kg, the largest under 300g were collected along
a track 28 miles long, H.H. Nininger, Pop. Astron., Northfield,
Minnesota, 1934, 42, p.105, 291, Pop. Astron., Northfield, Minnesota,
1936, 44, p.331, 383 (M.A. 6-105, 6-398). Description, analysis, W.F.
Foshag, Am. J. Sci., 1938, 35, p.374 (M.A. 7-176). Petrology, mineralogy
and analysis, M.B. Duke and L.T. Silver, GCA, 1967, 31, p.1637. Rb-Sr,
Sm-Nd, U-Pb ages, references, D.M. Unruh et al., Earth Plan.Sci. Lett.,
1977, 37, p.1. XRF analysis, H. von Michaelis et al., Earth Plan.Sci.
Lett., 1969, 5, p.387.

And here are two abstract on Pasamonte:

PUN A. et al. (1992) Comparison of trace element chemistries of
pyroxenes between two unequilibrated eucrite clasts: A eucrite from the
Kapoeta howardite and the Pasamonte eucrite (Meteoritics 27-3, 1992,
A279).
PUN A. et al. (1994) The Pasamonte Unequilibrated Eucrite: Pyroxene REE
Systematics and Major-, Minor- and Trace Element Zoning (Meteoritics
29-4, 1994, A520).

Best wishes,

Bernd

Archives located at: