Re. Portales "feud"

 I find myself troubled...

Having read the recent postings re. the Portales VALLEY meteorites, I
absolutely have to stand up and speak in defence and support of Mike Farmer,
as I don't like the attacks on him.

Personally I feel the List is no place for personal criticisms / attacks
whatever, those discussions should be off-List and kept between the parties
concerned, it sounds like playground name-calling to me, and at a time when
we're having to think seriously about "outsiders" attacking or criticising us
(or should be, there's not been much response to my call-to-arms... maybe
people are happy to be compared to grave-robbers, I don't know...) the very
last thing we need is to be slagging fellow collectors off, but as the first
stone has been thrown...

The initial Portales Valley postings clearly stated the stone / stone & metal
nature of the meteorite, I remember it clearly. The pictures posted on the net
recently also show clearly some specimens have metal, others do not. I am also
sure that anyone who bought a specimen from any dealer on this List, who was
not satisfied with it upon receipt, would  be free to return it for a refund,
yes?

Why am I so bothered? Well, Mike F was generous enough to send me, for free, a
specimen of Portales Valley. It has no metal veins at all, but I don't care. I
didn't open up the envelope and think "Oh... no metal..." I was delighted and
very grateful for the gesture. It has already been enjoyed by many people, and
will be enjoyed by many more people in the future.

Finally, I can only suggest anyone who hasn't done so checks out the
following:

167.8.29.16/uwire/rs081406.htm

Enough said.

Bygones.