Re: Oriented Pasamonte

Michael and list,
In Nininger's book Out of the Sky on page 169 he discusses atmosphere as a shaping
agent and gives several specific meteorites as examples, Plainview and Chupaderos
have been fragmented and crusted and still fit together.  There is a picture of
the Plainview meteorite in Nininger's  The Nininger Collection Of Meteorites
1950.  It is on Plate XXX #1.  There  is a picture of a Arriba meteorite that was
found in two pieces about a 1/4 mile apart and has been glued together.  It is on
Plate XXVI #9.  Also in Nininger's  book of his collection he only lists Plainview
#92j and 92k as complementary, but under Pasamonte he only lists one individual as
oriented (197bb), but does list 197.84 as Individual, repaired  130grms.

Michael,  I hope this helps.
Alan Gayda
keysam@earthlink.net

MeteorHntr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/12/98 4:07:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> mblood@access1.net writes:
>
> <<      Still hoping someone will remember where Nininger's description of
>  finding the two halves of this specific specimen can be found. >>
>
> Michael and List,
>
> I personally do not remember any mention of two Pasamontes fitting together,
> but Nininger did find two Plainviews that fit together.  As a matter of fact,
> those two famous meteorites are on display at Arizona State University.  I did
> get a digital photo of them, a couple of months ago, but I am not sure where
> the diskette is.  I don't recall that they were glued together though.
>
> Steve Arnold
> www.meteoritebroker.com

> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html