[meteorite-list] Cover Slips/No Cover Slips

From: Michael Blood <mlblood_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:44:14 2004

--
Hi Dean & all,
        Well, congradulations on some excellent thin sections,
Dean. While I feal my prices/viewing area ratios are in the
same ballpark with yours (most about the same, a few better,
a few worse), especially with my 20% off for 4 or more, I must admit
your strait foreward pricing has appeal such that I must reconsider my
"sale" approach all togeather and consider
adopting your style in this regard.
        (Nothing like free enterprize to guarentee highest
quality at lowest prices & good presetation, eh? {as they say
in Canada})
        Furthermore, your schpeal on no cover slips has me
nearly convinced to go that road as well. But here's the rub:
If meteoritic material is only polished & has no cover slip,
it is put in danger on two counts:
1) possible scratching and abrasion while in the processes
        of removal and return to storage and in use with the
        microscope/polariscope.
2) RUSTING
        Of the two, my greatest concern, BY FAR, is rust.
Furthermore, much of the testing to which you refer
requires VERY expensive equipment (IE microprope instrumentation). Don't
get me wrong, I consider this
as having definate appeal. It DOES, however involve
equipment far beyond the grasp of average collectors
 - and by "average," I mean not millionairs or people
associated with institutions which own such equipment.
 	However, I would LOVE to hear from list members
who now, OR IN THE FUTURE ANTICIPATE they will, collect
thin sectionswhich approach they consider most desirable:
1) Cover slips - defense against rust and possible physical damage
        due to abrasion and/or scratching in the process of use.
2) No cover slips -
        This, so they can, if they later (or now) desire to do highly
        sophisticated testing with exceptionally expensive equipment
        (IE microprope instrumentation) can do so. Don't get me
        wrong, I consider this as having definate appeal. It
DOES,
        however involve equipment far beyond the grasp of average
        collectors - and by "average," I mean not millionairs or
        people associated with an institution which owns such
        equipment.
                              	----------
        So far, I have opted for the cover slip approach. However,
I would be most responsive to feedback from "consumers" in
this regard - and I am fairly certain you (and any dealer making
thin sections) would also.
        So, my proposal is this: I request all list members who now,
OR IN THE FUTURE ANTICIPATE they will, collect thin sections
email me off line, stating (you can coppy-paste one of these):
1) I collect thin sections & prefer WITH COVER SLIPS.
2) I anticipat collecting TSs & prefer WITH COVER SLIPS.
3) I collect TSs & prefer NO COVER SLIPS.
4) I anticipat collecting TSs & prefer NO COVER SLIPS.
5) I collect TS (or likely will) & DON'T CARE either way.
        I am sure if 80 or 90% feel one way or the other, we
both (and any dealer with good sense) will accommodate
them! I will, of course, make the results public via this list.
It will also be interesting to see just what percentage of our
list members collect TSs.
        Meanwhile, if list members care to "chime in" ON the list,
they are, of course, free to do so, but I will say right now, I would
be FAR more interested in what people have to say BASED ON EXPERIENCE
than on conjecture! (IE, "Gee, I don't think a thin
sectuon would rust...." will not impress me as would something like, "I
took a geology course at the local Community College
and all the equipment needed was available right there - and
furthermore, I made friends with the instructor and the lab
is, essentially, available to me on an open ended basis." - or,
"I have been collecting thin sections for 17 years and live
within 2 miles of the Pacific ocean. Not one single thin section
has ever shown the slightest indication of rust or other degeneration.")
	So, if y'all would send me a "With Cover Slip" /
"No Cover Slip" email, I will tally up the "votes" and
let EVERYONE know via the list.
	Best wishes, and again, congrats, Dean, Michael
--
If you want better eyes, try to see the best in people.
	- K. Hughes