[meteorite-list] Re: a bad N.E. Meteoritical Services experience?

From: EL Jones <jonee_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 09:52:24 2004

Hello Randy,
Sorry to hear of your and the other member's missing mail. As to
NEMS--Russ is one of the quietest dealers around and is sometimes away
from the office. He has always delivered for me and promptly. I trust
him completely. In all my time here on MC, I've never heard anything but
praise for him.

Our mail from Mass. has been taking 2-3times as long to get and we are
only 5 hours away. The standard answer is to contact postal inspectors
and involve them.

Missdirected mail can take several forms. We've all seen the videos of
Postal Workers pilfering mail, and heard about the letters lost since
W.W.II, etc. My missing mail saga was pre 9/11 and took a few weeks to
conclude . I had a mail-delivery/sorter-person continually mix up a
similar address with mine. While I was giving back all the misdirected
mail, the other party was starting a free meteorite and mineral collection!

I'll tell you that they are apparently completely occupied with other
things more important--And I understand. They are looking for what
happened to a package that was overdue since March. I am missing a
canalope-sized radioactive mineral specimen. If I let my imagination
drift I could surmise that it tripped some detector and is backlogged in
the line for further review.

Good Luck, Elton