[meteorite-list] Weight scam

From: Pekka Savolainen <pekka.savolainen_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu Apr 22 10:25:45 2004

--------------030306060503040700010406

Hello, Mike and the list,

well, I suppose, Carlos will stay in minerals in the future, at least I hope
so. Didnīt find any meteorite from his active listings.

 From his descriptions;

The weight of each item corresponds with its weight when it is prepared
for ets shipment.

-------------------

The weight of the specimens is its real weight. When making purchases of
several specimens, the weight of this specimens are increased 50% to
calculate the shipping cost. when the packages are ready for shipment,
we weigh them again, and if it's difference to your favor among the
shipping cost you have paid and the final shipping cost result, we
refund you your money.

If you wish it you can combine specimens in an alone sending(parcel).

 I can aggree, to read and underrestand this is not very clear, even if
you use trigonometry. Anyway, the weight of the specimens
can be anything between some grams to some kilograms, and think he has
build this system just to get the items listed faster. Itīs
also quite usual in minerals, you could have some hundreds of kilograms
material, when you come back from the field, and itīs wise
to pack crystals as soon as possible, sometimes on the field, to avoid
to breaking of them.

The first description he has used is quite clear to me, the second is a
bit more complicated. But with a good will and some reading you
can find out the idea to increase the weight 50%. Iīm not saying, the
description is correct, when we are talking about meteorites, but
I belive, this is the best, he could done with his not so good english;

When making purchases of several specimens, the weight of this specimens
are increased 50% to calculate the shipping cost. when the packages are
ready for shipment, we weigh them again, and if it's differen ...

So maybe itīs better to stay (at least to me) in more simple things and
buy the items from the professionals...;-

take care,

pekka

--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
>From his descriptions;<br>
making purchases of several specimens,   the weight of this specimens  are
increased 50%  to calculate the shipping cost. when the  packages are ready
for shipment, we weigh them again, and if  it's difference to your favor
among the shipping cost you have paid  and the final shipping cost result,
&nbsp;I can aggree, to read and underrestand this is not very clear, even if you
use trigonometry. Anyway, the weight of the specimens <br>
can be anything between some grams to some kilograms, and think he has build
this system just to get the items listed faster. It&acute;s<br>
also quite usual in minerals, you could have some hundreds of kilograms material,
when you come back from the field, and it&acute;s wise<br>
to pack crystals as soon as possible, sometimes on the field, to avoid to
breaking of them.<br>
The first description he has used is quite clear to me, the second is a bit
more complicated. But with a good will and some reading you<br>
can find out the idea to increase the weight 50%. I&acute;m not saying, the description
is correct, when we are talking about meteorites, but<br>
I belive, this is the best, he could done with his not so good english;<br>
<b><font size="4">When making purchases of several specimens,   the weight
of this specimens  are increased 50%  to calculate the shipping cost. when
the  packages are ready for shipment, we weigh them again, and if  it's differen</font></b>
...<br>
So maybe it&acute;s better to stay (at least to me) in more simple things and buy
the items from the professionals...;-<br>
take care,<br>
pekka<br>
Michael Farmer wrote:<br>
way you  possible look at this, the situation is still ludicrous. the simple
solution for  him would be to do like basically everyone else I have ever
seen on ebay,  quote&nbsp;a price for domestic and international shipping. That
is what I do.  The packaging material especially for a small NWA meteorite
is NIL, You use a  bubble envelope for something that weighs 30 grams.&nbsp; Shipping
from Spain on  an item that small is about $4.00 airmail. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </font></div>
well, I guess you go to the supermarket and buy steak, paying for 2 pounds
 only to find you get 1 pound of meat and one pound of plastic. Ill bet you
would  go right back to the store. I sure would. </font></div>
mess and decides to buy from someone who actually does not need to use  trigonometry
to calculate shipping material, deducting the gas money and  terrorism risks
to go to the post office to ship, dividing the sum of the parts  of the stone
subtracting the atomic number of gold. Pretty stupid huh?  </font></div>
  <pre class="moz-signature" cols="$mailwrapcol">--
Pekka Savolainen
Jokiharjuntie 4
FIN-71330 Rasala
FINLAND