Re: addendum Re: ALH84001 -

Frank Stroik wrote:

> >please note that the apollo material given by nixon to the family of
> >nations of his administration was not a gift to foreign leaders, per
> se,
> >but "to the people of (fill in the blank)" -- thus, there was no extant
> >individual ownership.
> >
> >darryl
>
>      I have seen one of these presented gifts at the British Museum of
> Natural History in London. It was given to all the people of Great
> Britain(paraphrased of course). As for the sale of lunar material, I
> find it hard to see. The people of The United States essentially paid
> for the specimens, so how can they be sold, and a fair return given to
> all citizens of the United States? I guess the justification can be
> found in furthering space science research and exploration. Just a
> thought.
>  Frank
YOUR LAST EXPRESSED THOUGHT IS EXACTLY THE QUESTION I PROPOSED - How
this all got off into LAWS is beyond me, as, obviously, if officials
decided to subsidize research by selling or quctioning off 2 to 3% (my
original hypothetical question) they would AMEND extant laws re private
ownership.
	THE QUESTION WAS, even at exhorbitant prices, such as the $400K for a
fraction of a gram paid at auction a couple of years ago for USSR lunar
material, WOULD THE FUNDS GENERATED make it worth while in subsidizing
further research missions?  Michael

Follow-Ups: References: