[meteorite-list] Monnig questions

From: Prof. Zelimir Gabelica Université de Haute Alsace ENSCMu, <zelimir.gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 15:59:08 +0100

Hi Martin,

Maybe I can provide you a partial help .

In late 2003, I started a compilation of the weights (masses) of all
the Ensisheim meteorite fragments, slices...owned in museums,
institutes, or held in private collections...

I received much feedback and help from various people concerned and,
in particulat, from the list at the time, on a relatively regular
basis so that I could update the repositories in 2005 and 2007.

My latest update of the compilation was done some time in 2009 and
completed sporadically with a few new data provided by listees during
2010.

As per December 2010 I came up with 171 repositories mentioning the
places where the pieces/fragments are held, the owner's name and the
exact weight.

Presently I realize that, with the accelerated redistribution of
meteorites in various collections through trades, web contacts, E-Bay
offers....my list badly needs an new update, for which I will send a
call for new info & data in some very near future.

 From this latest comlation (2007 - 2010), I can just tell you this:

1) TCU museum (Fort Worth, TX) apparently held a piece of 30.9 grams.
It was not specified whether this came from the Monnig collection.
This figure is from 2007 and apparently did not change in 2010,
although I was in a regular mail connection with David New at the time
(though I never asked him specifically to update this figure).

2) Matteo had contacted me some time in 2007, reporting he had in
collection 2 Ensisheim pieces weighing together 2.06 grams.
He specified both came from the Monnig collection.
I neither know the individual weights, nor their Monnig numbers.

Hope Matteo can help more.

Happy hunting!

Zelimir

--